Hemasiri Fernando says he is taking responsibility for failures of some institutions he headed as secretary of defence. — Photo courtesy: Asian Mirror
Home World Sri Lanka’s defence secretary quits following suicide bomb attacks
World - 4 weeks ago

Sri Lanka’s defence secretary quits following suicide bomb attacks

Sri Lankan Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando told Reuters on Thursday that he had resigned, taking responsibility for the suicide bomber attacks on the country last Sunday.

He said that while there had been no failure on his own part, he was taking responsibility for failures of some institutions he headed as the secretary of defence.

He said that security agencies were actively responding to intelligence they had about the possibility of attacks before they were launched.

“We were working on that. All those agencies were working on that,” he said.

The Easter Sunday bombings on churches and luxury hotels killed at least 359 people and wounded about 500.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Positive signs for economy

ISLAMABAD  -   The stock market saw a bull-run on Wednesday as the KSE-100 index surged by…